December 17, 2010

Christmas Brings Back All Kinds of Memories

 As Christmas nears, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is flooded with all kinds of past memories.

On December 12th it would have been my sister's birthday so she has been on my mind a whole lot this week and I've been thinking about the last Christmas we enjoyed before her stroke.  More than that though, I've been thinking about much of our time together growing up.

Claudia Marie Thérèse LeBlanc was ten years older than me. My parents had three older children I never knew.

A girl and two boys died before I was born.  The two oldest died before my sister Claudia was born - they were toddlers.  After my sister Claudia, my brother Albert was born then a brother named Alphee was born - he died before I came along.  Since my sister Claudia was ten years older than me, she was somewhat like a surrogate mother.  She was very good to me and would take me with her everywhere she went.  So have I have very good memories of my years with her.

At age twenty-two my sister married Chanel Talbot who was in the U.S. Air Force as a career man.  After their honeymoon she left for Long Island, New York as he was stationed at Mitchel Air Base, Hempstead, Long Island.  There her two sons were born.  Eventually they came back to New England when Chanel was stationed at Pease Air Force Base following a stint to France.

My sister passed away in 2002 and I still miss her.  Our retirement years could have been good years together but it wasn't meant to be.

After her stoke her children would get her to New Hampshire on Christmas Day where we all gathered at her daughter Claudia's home.  Though she couldn't speak, when I would start playing the guitar she could sing every word to every Christmas Carol she had ever known.  It was a great day for her and for all of us.

So that's pretty much what has occupying my thoughts this week so I wanted to honor the memory of my sister Claudia with today's blog.

My sister and my brother Albert are no longer with us but they are forever in our hearts not only at Christmas but always.

All Rights Reserved
Lucie LeBlanc Consentino
2010

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucie - beautiful memories of your sister Claudia. I lost my big brother the day after Christmas 1993. In someways it's like yesterday. I don't have the memories you do...but I do know he was always there for me. And he still is...in my heart. I carry him with me at all times. Thanks for sharing.

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Hi Mary,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. There are people who leave a special mark in our loves. We are blessed that they did.

Lucie